A goal without a plan is just a wish – Antoine de Saint Exupery
- Create goals that are realistic, specific and measurable. Make a specific plan, for example:
- Prepare your bag with fitness gear the night before and leave it handy (car, doorway, etc.)
- Take a 15-minute walk after each meal
- Replace sugary drinks for water
- Add 2 servings of veggies (1 cup raw, ½ cup cooked) for lunch and 2 servings for dinner
- Plan your weekly menu and shop accordingly
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Don’t believe in fast-acting or magical solutions to lose weight. If you lose it fast, you’ll gain it back fast. Ideally you could lose about 2 pounds per week.
- Keep a food and exercise diary to help track your hunger cues.
- Don’t do any detox diets or starve yourself. This will only cause anxiety, the key is moderation (link no-diet, diet)
- Create goals in the short and medium-term. You will continue to be motivated as you achieve them or will figure out new strategies to achieve the ones which are being more troublesome.
- Don’t expect immediate results. Think of this as a marathon, not a race.
- Identify what will work for YOU, there are many different strategies for every individual. Find a system that will work for you.
- Drink water, 1 ml per each calorie or 30-35 ml per current body weight (in kilograms).
- Make your physical activity FUN! Try different ones and figure out which one you truly enjoy.
- Don’t forget WHY you decided to change your healthy eating habits and use that to stay motivated in the long-term.
Leave a Reply