Yields: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
1 ripe large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
¼ cup fortified nutritional yeast
1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1 can of artichokes, drained
1 cup fresh basil
juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp olive oil
Water as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine avocado, basil, artichokes, nutritional yeast, and garlic in a food processor or blender. With machine running, slowly stream in the lemon juice, olive oil, and water as needed to achieve a smooth pesto. Puree until completely blended and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an airtight container or sealed mason jar and refrigerate. Pesto is best if used within a few days, otherwise you can freeze it for several months.
Why it’s healthy:
- This creamy pesto is indulgent without being overly rich, thanks to heart-healthy avocado and just a touch of olive oil. Also, since it uses a fresh avocado for its creamy consistency.
- Heart-healthy since you are replacing your usual Parmesan cheese (saturated fat) with avocado and olive oil (unsaturated fats)
- Nutritional yeast: good source of complete protein and B-complex vitamins. It contains folates, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, selenium and zinc. Just one serving (¼ C) provides 9 g of protein and 4 g of fiber.
- Versatile recipe, you can also use it as a veggie dip or a sauce over grilled fish or chicken.
- Important: Use soon after making it though, as the fresh avocado will go brown if it sits for too long.