Prep time: 5 minutes
2 cans of hearts of palm (14.5 oz each), drained
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cucumber, peeled, seedless and chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
juice of 3 limes
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp paprika
- Mix all ingredients together and serve with avocado and/or lettuce leaves.
Nutrition Facts per serving (204 g)
Total Fat 5.4g
Saturated Fat 0.9g
Total Carb 8.9g
Dietary Fiber 3.8g
- Low-carb, gluten-free, paleo.
- Good source of fiber.
- Just one portion provides about 25% required daily iron, 63% of vitamin A and 37% of vitamin C.
- Iron: an important component of hemoglobin, the substance in red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. Hemoglobin contains about 65% of the body’s iron and when lacking, your body cannot make enough healthy oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Shortage of red blood cells is called iron deficiency anemia.
- Vitamin A: its deficiency can lead to night blindness, higher susceptibility to infections, and follicular hyperkeratosis (dry, bumpy skin).
- Vitamin C: it may not cure a common cold, but it can help prevent further complication such as pneumonia and lung infections. It is one of the nutrients most sensitive to stress, therefore the first nutrient to be depleted in alcoholics, smokers, and obese individuals. Higher vitamin C intakes have been associated with a lower likelihood of a wrinkled appearance, dryness of the skin, and a better skin-aging appearance.