Yields: 8 cups
Cook time: 15 minutes on Instapot, 5-6 hours on slow cooker
For the broth:
½ cup diced onion
1 bell pepper, diced
4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
3 divined and rehydrated California peppers
2 cans (14-15 oz) low-sodium crushed tomatoes
2 tsp minced garlic
2 corn tortillas, charbroiled
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup dried red lentils
2 cups of cooked shredded chicken breast (optional)
Extra and optional toppings: avocado, cheese, chopped jalapeños, crushed tortilla chips, fresh cilantro.
Instructions for Instapot:
- Turn on your instapot to “sauté” mode. Place all the broth ingredients in the blender and pour into Instapot once it indicates “hot”. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and set to “pressure cooker” in “high” for 15 minutes.
- Let 15 or so to release pressure naturally and enjoy with your favorite toppings when serving.
Instructions for Slow Cooker:
- Place all the broth ingredients in the blender and pour into crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and set crockpot to high heat and cook for 5-6 hours, covered.
- Once cooked, serve with your favorite toppings.