Yields: 8 tacos
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 cups of dried hibiscus flowers
2 red tomatoes, chopped
4 Tbsp chopped onion
2 serrano peppers (optional)
2 tsp avocado oil
salt and pepper to taste
8 corn tortillas
- Pour 4 cups of the water in a medium saucepan add dried hibiscus flowers and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 2 hours. Strain into a pitcher so you can store the liquid for iced tea later.
- Chop the flowers and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Sautee with avocado oil for about 5-6 minutes or until the flowers soften.
- Remove from heat and serve over corn tortillas and salsa. Optional: add some beans and avocado.
Benefits of hibiscus flowers:
- Very high in fiber.
- The hibiscus flower is rich in a variety of nutraceuticals such as anthocyanins and procyanidins, strong antioxidants that gives it the intense red color.
- This natural diuretic provides a significant amounts of vitamins A and C, minerals, citric and malic acid.
- It is rich in powerful antioxidants that decrease levels of fatty substances in the blood such as “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides.
- It also helps regulate blood pressure and insulin production.
What to do with the liquid:
- Try hibiscus infused iced cubes. Just place the concentrate in ice cube trays and you are set! Mix 3 ice cubes per glass of water. Get creative and mix with guava, lemonade or orange juice.
Precaution: Be sure not to combine hibiscus with Tylenol, or any other drug containing acetaminophen. The diuretic effect of the beverage may enhance the speed that releases acetaminophen from the Always consult with your primary healthcare provider before using the herbal tea.